WH Bowker recognised at 2015 CBA Luncheon

30 April 2015

Hazchem Network were delighted to see founder members Depot 039 WH Bowker receive the Responsible Care Award 2015, from the Chemical Business Association, at the annual luncheon hosted by the London Grosvenor; affectionately referred to as The Floggersí lunch.

Last year Hazchem Network founders HW Coates received this prestigious award click here for details - and also in 2011, click here for details

It looks like WH Bowker will need a larger shelf for their recognition from the chemical logistics industry as they too won the RC Award previously [in 2009], click here for details.

WH Bowker was established in 1919 when William Bowker used his war gratuity to buy the first vehicle. He began making local deliveries in East Lancashire earning a reputation for a pioneering spirit and an innovative approach to industry's needs. It wasn't long before he'd assembled one of the largest fleets in the area.

The General Strike of 1926 became the catalyst for further expansion when he began making the first overnight trunks to London carrying record consignments of fruit from Liverpool Docks to the markets of Covent Garden.

The Company continued to prosper until 1949 when they were nationalised along with the rest of the UK Haulage Industry but continued to trade as warehousing keepers. In 1954 a change of government brought a swift and welcome reversal of the situation and de-nationalised the industry.

William Bowker bought back a number of vehicles, and it wasn't long before they were once again at the forefront of the UK Haulage Industry.

In 1961, Bowker took their first steps into Europe moving carpet tufting machines to Holland which attracted a lot of interest from UK manufacturers in the process. The new service led to unprecedented levels of freight being moved by road to the continent and with business booming, Bowker opened its depots in Hull in 1973 and Zeebrugge shortly after in 1976.

The Company diversified its activities in 1984 with the acquisition of Clock Garage in Accrington - the authorised BMW dealership for East Lancashire, followed shortly after by Kinders Ashton Garage (Preston) Limited - the authorised BMW dealership for Central Lancashire in 1989. Both businesses have since relocated to prestige developments on Preston Docks and Trident Park in Blackburn and have expanded through the addition of Mini franchises and the Harley Davidson dealership in Preston.

Bowker opened Bowker Ribble Valley in 2012 at Bay Horse Garage on the A59 near Blackburn, retailing used prestige and sports cars with a full Service facility. Bowker were appointed as official Maserati dealers for the North West in 2013 which further strengthens the Groupís Motor Dealership portfolio.

Today, Bowker continues to be a major UK and international transport service provider. Operating over 150 vehicles and 350 trailers to deliver goods to and from most destinations in the UK and Europe and provides 40,000m≤ of warehousing at their UK sites. The Company are very proud to have recently been voted one of the 'Top 20 Great British Transport Companies of all Time' - a testament to our heritage, the present and our future.

More Information about Responsible Care available here

More information about The Chemical Business Association available here

More Information about WH Bowker is available here